Just before BlizzCon 2017, Jak was able to sit down with Sigma and talk about class design philosophy! Summary below by MMO-Champion:
- The team went into Legion knowing that they might have to revisit some of the classes that received major changes once player feedback was collected.
- There most likely will not be complete class revamps again any time soon.
- Mythic dungeons are a great way to show off each class’s unique toolkit.
- The team likes classes having unique abilities.
- Going forward a big question is what unique abilities each class should have.
- The team wants to spread out class strength and weaknesses more.
- Utility will be spread out and balanced more in the future.
- Everyone should feel like they have some sort of cooldown to help them survive.
- The best thing the team can do to help showcase unique abilities is to have more variety in dungeon encounters.
- Talent tweaks and the future of the class artifact abilities are being looked at moving forward.
- The passive health increase on Artifact Weapons was essentially to also help healers heal into a set of players with higher health pools who take more damage that stays balanced with the amount of healing done.
- Thorns and other design elements are being experimented with more to counter the issue of healing getting boring as players get stronger.
- The team is pretty happy with where raid cooldowns are at now.
- Steady damage is important to the design of healing in encounters.
If you haven't checked it out yet, be sure to watch the full video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj2YSBC-XiI.