Guide provided by Wowhead
Raid & Uldir Guide
Uldir is the first raid zone in Battle for Azeroth, unlocked on September 4th, 2018. It is a Titan laboratory and containment facility located in Nazmir of Zandalar, meant to contain, analyze, and neutralize Old God corruption.
Disc Raid Strengths and How To Maximize Them
The Discipline spec in Battle for Azeroth has grown substantially in the breadth and flexibility of its healing in a raid environment. While they were known primarily for their raid burst healing in Legion, Battle for Azeroth Discipline has managed to maintain a great deal of that burst potential, while also adding greater tools to increase their healing in between burst phases. Thanks to Evangelism's continuation in the talent tree, Discipline's ability to offer consistent burst healing to counter key boss mechanics remains powerful, but with the recent power boosts described later in Azerite traits affecting Smite, your consistent healing outside of bursts is much improved.
The Schism talent has been adjusted and in conjunction with Sins of the Many can continue to offer a similar burst oriented playstyle that Discipline has known throughout Legion, while Twist of Fate can offer some more flexibility in ability usage in between bursts of damage. Improved efficiency out of Shadow Mend, Power Word: Shield, and the removal of Plea offer greater spot heal potential than Discipline has known before which will synergize well with Uldir which has consistent heavy tank damage and spot heal requirements.
Disc Raid Weaknesses and How To Prepare for Them
It is no secret that Discipline is a more proactive minded healer and one of the biggest vulnerabilities of the specialization is a lack of preparedness. Knowledge of encounters in addition to strong fundamentals is required in order to leverage the highest potential of the spec. Holy for example is often touted as a very fundamental-based healer in which you can simply focus on casting Holy Words and Prayer of Mending almost on cooldown to yield a reasonably high performance. Discipline, however, continuously requires study of future encounters along with frequent trial and error to identify and exploit damage patterns to your advantage.
To prepare yourself for new encounters in Uldir, it is recommended that you go through the dungeon journal or check out the Taloc Uldir Raid Strategy Guide and other boss specific guides on the site to identify the consistent large bursts of damage that will go out on each fight. After you've outlined some specific boss abilities, start looking at the timing of each ability. This can be done by watching a video, or if you are already in the raid you can use a combat timer like one which is built into the Exorsus Raid Tools addon. Once you have a solid plan on where you likely will be able to line up Evangelism/Schism windows, adjust your weakauras or boss mods to emphasize specific times leading up to the big damage event. Some bosses are energy based, while others have more of a rough timer. Using DBM or BigWigs you can change the sounds and graphics that appear for specific mechanics to help train you to prepare for damage output. It is often recommended to use a unique sound as your "ramp up reminder" about 10-15 seconds before the hit occurs. If you use the same sound for different boss fights, it can quickly become muscle memory to hear that specific sound and prompting you to ramp up to deal with it.
While often players will view this preparation primarily for ramping up to near-full raid coverage, this can also apply towards spot healing requirements in cutting-edge progression. This environment can often stretch the common "best practices" outlined in guides and push you towards more unorthodox healing in order to fulfill the requirements created by the boss. An example of this can be slowing down or harming your ramp up priority system in order to use Shadow Mend or even Penance in a defensive manner to provide emergency spot healing.
Good Azerite Traits for Raids
Key traits to target for Discipline in a raiding environment:
Uldir Tips & Tricks
Discipline Priest Talent Recommendations for Taloc
Taloc Tips & Tricks for Discipline Priest
- Watch out for allies running out of the groups with Plasma Discharge as they will require spot healing.
- Start ramping up before Cudgel of Gore to quickly reverse damage on the group. On Mythic, you can ramp up just as the first Hardened Arteries goes out and if you extend with Evangelism you can maintain Atonements for the Cudgel of Gore damage that follows.
- Damage from Cudgel of Gore is based off of proximity to the impact zone. Use Power Word: Barrier to help mitigate this damage.
- During the Powered Down phase, keep an eye on the tank that is soaking the Volatile Droplet. These adds will knock you back when soaked, so standing back to let the tank soak, then having Leap of Faith at the ready is excellent for ensuring the tank will not get knocked off the elevator. See video above for examples.
Discipline Priest Talent Recommendations for MOTHER
MOTHER Tips & Tricks for Discipline Priest
- This encounter focuses primarily on healers working together to rotate through healing cooldowns as players pass through the Defense Grid. This video highlights <Future's> strategy of sending large groups at the start of each room.
- With this strategy Discipline can ramp up shortly before the encounter begins and have total raid coverage to allow a full party (5) of players to pass through at the start.
- Ideal time to use Power Word: Barrier is when you are sending a large group and the raid is able to stack easily. Look for large party movement ideally before or after any Purifying Flame go out.
- On Mythic, whenever a healer moves through the Defense Grid a Endemic Virus debuff will go out onto a player. We assigned the first healer that passed through the Grid to dispel all Endemic Virus the rest of the fight and call out the player afflicted by it to run out of the group for a dispel.
- If a player with Endemic Virus is dispelled in the group, use Mass Dispel to dispel the Spreading Epidemic that apply to any allies.
Discipline Priest Talent Recommendations for Zek'voz
Zek'voz Tips & Tricks for Discipline Priest
- Ideal ramp period is as Silithid Warrior spawn and the raid stacks up. The bleeds applied by these mobs paired with the Titan Spark damage on the raid make for a strong time for big healing.
- Halo is generally the pick this encounter>. On Mythic mode, it is frequent to hard crowd control Nerubian Voidweaver with Hunter Traps and the like, so the damage from Halo can break these mobs out prematurely. Divine Star is a good pick if the raid stacks frequently in between Eye Beam. Otherwise go Purge the Wicked.
- Watch for allies affected by Roiling Deceit as they will need priority healing as they move out their clouds.
Discipline Priest Talent Recommendations for Vectis
Vectis Tips & Tricks for Discipline Priest
- This encounter is built upon healer cooldown rotations similar to MOTHER, but requires greater spot healing attention than MOTHER in between bursts.
- When organizing your ramp window with other healers ensure that you have a complete ramp before a Contagion / Immunosuppression combo and utilize other raid cooldowns around your Evangelism.
- Watch the timers for Gestate and begin applying Atonements 8-10 seconds before Gestate to have near raid-wide coverage before the mobs casts Immunosuppression followed by the boss casting Contagion.
- On Mythic, ensure that targets over 6 stacks of Lingering Infection especially have Atonements up before Contagion is cast as they will receive Bursting Lesions and require additional healing.
- On Mythic, do not try to cover every single combo that goes out, instead, focus on having the strongest ramp possible for specific windows, then provide priority healing to tanks and high stack players in between those windows.
- During the intermission, spotheal as needed on allies with Omega Vector or Plague Bomb. Even without an enemy to attack in this phase it still is important to contribute extra healing when needed to keep players alive. Do not use Rapture during the intermission, it is more worthwhile to use where all of the Atones applied will receive value, especially considering the burst damage that can be applied.
Discipline Priest Talent Recommendations for Fetid Devourer
Fetid Devourer Tips & Tricks for Discipline Priest
- Atonement application to targets with Malodorous Miasma is a high priority as they will need healing the entire duration and at the end of said duration the debuff will become Putrid Paroxysm. Use Rapture to assist when healing multiple debuffed targets and to assist with ramping up before Stomps.
- Ensuring those players are prioritized first, begin ramping up 12-14 seconds before Shockwave Stomp goes out and look for walls/obstacles to shorten your knockback distance so you can return in range of the boss to continue attacking to top off the group.
- This fight is incredibly spread-centric, so moving in close to the boss before a Shockwave Stomp goes out will make it easier for you to be in range of more players to apply Atonement to.
- On Mythic, the damage that you can deal to Corruption Corpuscle is incredibly important. Work with your raid leader to put you on the weaker of the damage groups to provide a bit of extra push on progression. Work to identify which areas the group needs significant extra damage where you can utilize an entire Schism and others where you will only need to add a few Smite casts.
Discipline Priest Talent Recommendations for Zul, Zeborn
Zul, Zeborn Tips & Tricks for Discipline Priest
- Halo is a solid choice on this encounter but, like Zek'voz, priority targets can be hard crowd-controlled which can make Halo difficult to use. There is nothing keeping the raid from stacking on this encounter, so consider taking Divine Star if the group can properly stack for it, otherwise use Purge the Wicked.
- Begin ramping 3-4 seconds before Dark Revelation goes out. When players are affected by it, they will have 10 seconds to get out of the group before the detonation, giving you plenty of time to prepare.
- When Dark Revelation or Deathwish detonates, Minion of Zul will spawn around the detonation location. Use Mass Dispel or Dispel Magic if the former is on cooldown to destroy the minions before they reach the raid.
- If a Congeal Blood spawns, you can utilize Shining Force to knock them far away from the raid. These mobs kill themselves over time so it will be more efficient to knock the mob away and slow it, rather than force your DPS players to hard focus it before it reaches the boss.
- To mitigate and reduce the burst damage from Deathwish, you can use Leap of Faith on one of the affected players while dispelling the other to desync the damage bursts. If you group is prepared for the incoming damage you can simply dispel and Power Word: Barrier instead.
- Priority healing targets in this encounter are players soaking Pool of Darkness and the tanks affected by Rupturing Blood.
Discipline Priest Talent Recommendations for Mythrax
Mythrax Tips & Tricks for Discipline Priest
- Priority ramp up time is 2-4 seconds before Imminent Ruin goes out. This debuff lasts 10 seconds allowing for plenty of time to prepare. Make sure the debuffed targets are prioritized with Atonement application as they frequently will take the heaviest damage from the hit.
- Staying spread out is key on this encounters to reduce the damage that Oblivion Sphere will deal to players when broken out. This mechanic can also ruin your ramp up timings, so stay spread out. Often your ramp up for Imminent Ruin will align with Oblivion Sphere allowing you to easily counter both mechanics.
- Rapture should be used frequently but is especially excellent for shielding allies during the intermission who are, or are likely to be, affected by the Vision of Madness channeling Mind Flay. Even when interrupted, and especially on Mythic, these adds frequently recast allowing for easy absorption of shields and strong Atonement value after the shield is depleted.
- Shining Force makes for an excellent tool to knock out players inside Oblivion Sphere. Just be careful as to where you are knocking that player as the distance of Shining Force's knockback is substantial and could cause a player to be blasted from one orb to another.
- On Mythic difficulty, you will want your ramp up windows to most closely align with the additional mob's Void Echoes casts as they will frequently occur during Imminent Ruin which result in massive damage to the raid.
Discipline Priest Talent Recommendations for G'huun
G'huun Tips & Tricks for Discipline Priest
- Holy Nova is an excellent tool to quickly damage Amorphous Cyst and reduce their radius.
- When running Power Matrix to the conduit, you can utilize Leap of Faith BEFORE the player is rooted to move them closer to their objective, potentially saving you from receiving the debuff for touching the Power Matrix, allowing you to assist on multiple conduit runs.
- The first Reorigination Blast will be your first major ramp up and you can hit the embedded G'huun in the wall to heal the group or on Mythic you can find a high health Spawn of G'huun to focus.
- During the 2nd and 3rd phases, ensure the healers are appropriately spread out to heal tanks and other raid members. Ideally work to ramp up near the height of Putrid Blood stacks, before the Blood Feast goes out that will remove those stacks.
- In Mythic your raid will often maintain stacks of Putrid Blood and have minimal members of the group drop their stacks on the first Blood Feast. So ideal ramp times will be during the first add of each phase so that you can heal through the Putrid Blood and the Mind-Numbing Chatter casts from the Gibbering Horror