Battle for Azeroth brings many differences as far as stats go. In BFA, thanks to the stat and item level squish items will have a smaller amount of attributes overall on them, plus there are less secondary stats available in BFA as compared to Legion.
Intellect is our main primary stat and is found on all gear that we want to be wearing. It has a higher value than any of the secondary stats and should be the first thing you look at when debating whether one piece of gear is an upgrade over another.
For secondary stats, the Discipline Priest has the following:
- Haste - Haste reduces the cooldown of certain spells like Solace, which can greatly improve our efficiency, and also other damage and healing spells, which results in greater throughput. More rapid casts allow for more Atonements to be placed out for specific windows of damage.
- Critical Strike - Provides a chance to double the damage and healing done by your spells. Overall very solid stat.
- Mastery - New mastery Mastery: Grace increases all healing and absorbs on targets with Atonement. Once you have a suitable amount of Haste, you will look towards high ilvl gear with both Mastery and Critical Strike on them. If you are more focused on Mythic+/5mans, you may look for stats that will increase your damage instead of Mastery.
- Versatility - Provides a linear gain in outgoing healing & damage, as well as reduction of damage taken. With this increase to damage done, and decrease to damage received, comes the price of worse scaling than any other secondary stats for Disc. Versatility will actually provide more benefits to healing than Mastery in 5-man dungeons while still increasing your damage, so it is much better in that content, but they are quite close in value in raids.
- Avoidance - Excellent survivability stat.
- Leech - HPS and survivability increase. Healing and Damage done will translate to self-healing.
- Speed - Mobility increase.
- Indestructible - Unbreakable gear.
Bests Stats for Disciplne PriestRaids
- Intellect > Haste > Critical Strike > Masery/Versatility
This breakdown for raids is focused primarily on Discipline's hunger for more Haste. While most secondaries are quite close, Haste allows the spec to more easily apply Atonements that can be extended by Evangelism creating greater mana savings and a stronger response to raid wide damage. In the most popular talent build for raiding, Haste also allows more damage casts to fit into the Schism damage windows that often align with Evangelism. More Atonements extended and greater damage done while all of those Atonements remain on targets is a high priority in Discipline's raid healing.
Keep in mind that secondaries after Haste are pretty close together and you will often pursue highest item level when intellect is involved. In rings you can have more leeway towards taking higher Haste pieces as long as the ilvl is not too significantly lower.
*Mastery is currently experiencing a bug whereby it fails to update dynamically when receiving a buff or proc of Mastery, lowering its current value if received in a proc. Flat mastery on your gear is totally fine, but trinket or azerite mastery procs effects should be avoided.
In patch 8.1 this Mastery bug seems to be fixed so proc Mastery effects can once again be pursued.Dungeons
- Intellect > Haste > Critical Strike/Versatility > Mastery
These stats are focused on maximizing your damage while still providing strong throughput increases in a Mythic+ environment. Mastery, as the only secondary that does not increase your damage, is less desirable when optimizing for competitive speed runs.