Discipline Priest Talents Guide
Talents are one of the core character systems in World of Warcraft, giving players the option to customize their character by choosing different abilities.
In this guide, we will explain how all Discipline Priest talents work and what are the best Discipline Priest talent builds to use in Shadowlands Pre-Patch, including specialized content like Raids and Mythic+. We also highlight all the best uses for each talent, so you can confidently pick the right talent to use for every situation, as well as the best Honor Talents to use while you are enjoying the bonuses from War Mode.
Note that in order to change talents, you must be out of combat and either be in a rested zone, like a major city or inn, or under the effects of Tome of the Tranquil Mind or Codex of the Tranquil Mind.
Best Discipline Priest Talents
Looking for a quick Discipline Priest build? This is the right one for you! However, if you are looking into something more specific like serious raiding or Mythic+ Dungeons, check other builds below.
- Level 15: Schism
- Level 25: Angelic Feather
- Level 30: Power Word: Solace
- Level 35: Shining Force
- Level 40: Sins of the Many
- Level 45: Halo on single target, Purge the Wicked on multi-target
- Level 50: Evangelism or Spirit Shell
Discipline Priest Talent Changes for Shadowlands
- NEWShadow Covenant Make a shadowy pact, healing the target and 4 other injured allies within 30 yds for (150% of Spell power). For 9 sec, your Shadow spells deal 25% increased damage and healing, but you cannot cast Holy spells. Cost: 5.0% of base mana 30 sec cooldown
- NEWSpirit Shell For 10 sec, Penance, Power Word: Radiance, and Atonement create absorb shields for 100% of their value, instead of healing.
- Power Word: Solace Strikes an enemy with heavenly power, dealing (
83% of Spell power) Holy damage and restoring 1% of your maximum mana. 12sec cooldown
- Rapture For the next 10 sec, Power Word: Shield absorbs an additional 200% and may be cast on targets with Weakened Soul.
- Contrition When you heal with Penance, everyone with your Atonement is healed for (
9% of Spell power).
- Divine Star Throw a Divine Star forward 24 yds, healing allies in its path for (
50% of Spell power) and dealing (40% of Spell power) Holy damage to enemies. After reaching its destination, the Divine Star returns to you, healing allies and damaging enemies in its path again.
- Halo Creates a ring of Holy energy around you that quickly expands to a 30 yd radius, healing allies for (
103%of Spell power) and dealing (103% of Spell power) Holy damage to enemies.
- Lenience Atonement reduces damage taken by 3%.
- REMOVEDLight's Caress Allies are healed for (210% of Spell power) when they gain benefit of your Power Word: Barrier, and healed again for (210% of Spell power) if they are under your barrier when it expires.
- REMOVEDLuminous Barrier Create a shield on all allies within 40 yards, absorbing (Spell power * 2.8 * (1 + Versatility)) damage on each of them for 10 sec.
- REMOVEDShadow Covenant Draws on the power of shadow to heal the target and 4 injured allies within 30 yds for (135% of Spell power), but leaves a shell on them that absorbs the next ((135% of Spell power) * 50 / 100) healing they receive within 6 sec.
Detailed Discipline Priest Builds
Discipline Priest Talent Overview
Tier 1 (Level 15) Talent for Disc Priest
- Castigation - Adds an extra tic to your Penance cast. Low maintenance buff for an underwhelming ability.
- Twist of Fate - Strong buff that kicks in after healing a party member that drops low. Strong in a safe 5man build where your tank or party needs additional spot healing. The higher key that you go the quicker you must top them off, this is where Twist becomes a must have. Keep in mind that Twist does NOT increase absorbs. As a result, you would not want to run this in conjunction with Spirit Shell.
- Schism - Strong damage boost on a low cooldown, can provide a strong damage increase on demand. Even though the damage bonus has been nerfed from +40% to +25% it is still an extremely powerful and efficient talent. Helpful for aggressive 5man builds and for powerful burst healing in raids.
Tier 2 (Level 25) Talent for Disc Priest
- Body and Soul - Provides the flexibility of instantly casting a movement speed boost on any target, but with the now spammable Shield. Feather is often superior.
- Masochism - Underrated defensive effect. Has some situational value in high Mythic+ where you need to reduce the damage that you take from scary Tyrannical bosses. Often moving out of danger faster with Feather is better than damage reduction, but Mythic+ bosses on high keys can have such heavy unavoidable damage that this talent can become mandatory the higher you go.
- Angelic Feather - Consistent, allows pre-placement and priority is given to the caster, your go-to for mobility.
Tier 3 (Level 30) Talent for Disc Priest
- Power Word: Solace - Nerfed in Patch 8.3. Still gives a strong mana return but will likely be outshone in Ny'alotha.
- Shield Discipline - Returns mana to you through fully absorbed Power Word: Shields.
- Mindbender - Low-maintenance and easy to use. Can line up well with Spirit Shell if you are utilizing it.
Tier 4 (Level 35) Talent for Disc Priest
- Psychic Voice – Strong cooldown reduction to Psychic Scream. Decent for leveling, good uses as Area of Effect interrupt in 5man content.
- Dominant Mind – Allows you to keep your Mind Controlled enemy as a pet! Niche value, especially in 5mans. Controlling these mobs and moving them away while maintaining control over your character is very niche for recovering from dangerous situations in Mythic+.
- Shining Force – Great displacement tool that can be cast on allies. Useful for helping tanks start kiting or creating space for yourself when leveling.
Tier 5 (Level 40) Talent for Disc Priest
- Sins of the Many - Damage buff that is reduced by applying Atonements. Strong overall talent.
- Contrition - Offers small extra healing when using Penance defensively. Weak in progression raiding and Mythic+ as you are often not incentivized to use Penance defensively and the heal effect is often not powerful enough to properly deal with harmful affixes.
- Shadow Covenant - Strong, situational use for Mythic+ for quickly dealing with Grievous debuffs or Bursting effects. Potential use for the future in Shadowlands to maximize burst potential though minimizing downtime is a glaring issue in raids.
Tier 6 (Level 45) Talent for Disc Priest
- Purge the Wicked - Replaces Shadow Word: Pain. Easy to spread DoT with Penance with a longer duration. Strong in Mythic+ and go to talent in raids where a boss spawns adds that can easily spread the DoT.
- Divine Star - Your star will travel in a straight line away from you damaging and healing, then return to you. Both Star and Halo's damage only transfers to Atonement on the first target hit. Currently underwhelming talent.
- Halo - A wide-reaching heal that is great for raids and the heal amount is no longer determined by the distance at which the ally is from you. If Halo hits them at 40 yards, they are healed for the same amount as if they were at 5 yards. Go to pick for single target raid bosses.
Tier 7 (Level 50) Talent for Disc Priest
- Lenience - Artifact trait turned talent. Slight damage reduction per target affected by Atonement. Situational in raids, strong option in most Mythic+ environments.
- Spirit Shell - New to Shadowlands. This ability has a costly trade-off as it replaces Rapture. Is competitive on the row thanks to the rapid encounters in Nyalotha during the prepatch allowing you a narrow window to put out massive absorb effects. This talent also gains legendary and conduit synergy when the expansion releases where it will more solidly fill a solid role in raid healing.
- Evangelism - Extends the duration of all active Atonements within range, common pick for raid encounters. With Spirit Shell return, this talent will still be very competitive with its counterpart.