The following parts of the guide will list out the recommended gear options assuming near baseline levels that drop. It is important to keep in mind that warforge and titanforging pieces (i.e. gear that upgrades above base levels) can quickly make pieces that are not listed below better than those listed below. Holy Priest will primarily focus on maximizing item level in most gear slots, with rings, trinkets and azerite slots (Helm/Chest/Shoulders) as the notable exceptions. Those slots should be targeted when possible for specific stat or Azerite bonuses although they too can be replaced if there is a significant item level increase. For example a low level Crit/Mastery ring (desirable Holy stats) can be replaced by a significantly higher item level Vers/Haste ring, especially if it also has a socket.
Due to personal loot restrictions in BfA, keep in mind that obtaining the below items may be more difficult so do not be stressed if you do not have the perfect gear set going into raid.
Best in Slot Recommendations
Trinkets are less sensitive to item level differences. For example, some trinkets, like the Revitalizing Voodoo Totem are very underpowered compared to other dungeon effects, so a high ilvl totem may not be better than one of the trinkets below unless it is a massive difference in intellect. Below are trinkets that are all reasonably close in value and should be a focus to prioritize in BfA.
- Tidal Alchemist Stone can be crafted via Alchemy and creating the 385 gives you the recipe for the 400 which in turn gives you the recipe to make the 415 variant and is a superb progression trinket.
- Incandescent Sliver is a solid alternative trinket than the options above but does have a critical positional requirement.
- Doom's Hatred drop from drops from The Lion's Roar World Boss.
- Drust-Runed Icicle drop from drops from the Hailstone Construct World Boss.
- Conch of Dark Whispers drops from Vol'zith the Whisperer in Shrine of the Storm.
Legendaries for Leveling
While Discipline will often be the easiest spec to level as due to their powerful warmode talents and defensives, if you choose to level as Holy you will use the same legendaries that Discipline will use in Sephuz's Secret and Muze's Unwavering Will. This will allow constant damage increases to quickly kill mobs and make it easier to rapidly move through the content.