Holy Priest Quick Start Guide
Looking to start playing a Holy Priest in World of Warcraft and just want simple advice? Look no further! In this guide, we will cover everything you need to start easily playing a Disc Priest in Shadowlands Pre-Patch, without all the fuss of detailed guides.
Whether you're new to the spec, a casual achievement hunter, or a returning player looking to refamiliarize yourself with Holy in Shadowlands, these easy guidelines, covering simple and effective talents, rotation, and gear setup, will get you into the action as easily as possible.
Please keep in mind that this page is meant to get beginner players started quickly, and does not contain much in the way of detailed explanations, mechanics, competitive options, gearing, simulation comparisons, or nuance. For more in-depth information, including all those optimizations and more, check out the complete Holy Priest Guide pages linked in the navigation on the left-hand side of the page.
Talents ChoicesThis Holy Priest build is well rounded and focused on raid content. For a deeper look at each talent and more specialized builds for specific activities, see the Holy Priest Talent Guide.
RotationHealing and dealing damage differ greatly, as healing does not follow a rotation, but instead prioritizes spells depending on the situation. This section gives a general overview, but more optimizes, talent variations, and advanced tips can be found in the Holy Priest Rotation Guide.
- Cast Holy Word: Serenity on cooldown (if target is around 50% HP)
- Cast Holy Word: Sanctify on cooldown (if hitting full 6 players and sufficient damage is going out).
- Cast Prayer of Mending on cooldown.
- Cast Circle of Healing on cooldown
- Flash Heal as needed and to deal with spot damage
- Cast Prayer of Healing As raid damage occurs and if mana is permitting.
- Heal as filler when not moving.
- Renew rarely, often while moving on targets taking sustained damage.
Stat PriorityHoly Priests primarily favor Intellect through Item Level, along with Mastery, though secondary stats are generally close in value. Find out more about how stats work, including sample stat weights and scaling plots in the Stats Guide, or get an overview of gear to look for from dungeons and raids in the Holy Priest Gear Guide.
- Critical Strike
The essence system offers powerful additional abilities to your toolkit that are unlocked throughout various activities like reputations, pvp and pve. Essences often have various situational or specific benefits, to find out more check out the full Holy Priest Essences for the Heart of Azeroth - Battle for Azeroth 8.3 here for unlock requirements and breakdowns of specific uses.
Excerpt from the above guide:
- Use on: High throughput Raid
EnhancementsOnly two gear slots can be enchanted by all players in Battle for Azeroth: weapons and rings. There are also glove enchants which can assist with professions, Enchanter-only bracer enchants which modify hearthstone use, and Tailor-only cloak enchants which reduce threat slightly.
- Weapon: Enchant Weapon - Machinist's Brilliance
- Rings: Enchant Ring - Accord of Mastery
- Gems: Leviathan's Eye of Intellect and Masterful Sea Currant