Holy Priest Quick Start Guide
Looking to start playing a Holy Priest in World of Warcraft and just want simple advice? Look no further! In this guide, we will cover everything you need to start easily playing a Holy Priest in Shadowlands, without all the fuss of detailed guides.
Whether you're new to the spec, a casual achievement hunter, or a returning player looking to refamiliarize yourself with Holy in Shadowlands, these easy guidelines, covering simple and effective talents, rotation, and gear setup, will get you into the action as easily as possible.
Please keep in mind that this page is meant to get beginner players started quickly, and does not contain much in the way of detailed explanations, mechanics, competitive options, gearing, simulation comparisons, or nuance. For more in-depth information, including all those optimizations and more, check out the complete Holy Priest Guide pages linked in the navigation on the left-hand side of the page.
Best Covenants for Holy Priest
Holy Priest is generally not hyper-sensitive to their covenant selection, meaning you have some solid competition between your options. Each offers its own special abilities, soulbinds, conduits, transmoggable armor sets, and other perks, so check out our Covenant pages for more information to help you decide which covenant to pledge to. Keep in mind, the choice also is not final and can be periodically changed.
|Best Raid Covenants|
|Kyrian||Good, Damage Focused||Pelagos|
|Necrolord||Great, Defensive/Throughput Value||Emeni|
|Night Fae||Great, Utility, Mobility, Mana Regen||Niya|
|Best Mythic+ Covenants|
|Kyrian||Low Keys: Great, Damage focused|
High Keys: Great, Damage focused
|Necrolord||Low Keys: Good|
High Keys: Good
|Night Fae||Great, Utility/Tank Defensive/Mana Regen||Niya|
|Venthyr||Low Keys: Good|
High Keys: Good
Best Holy Priest Legendaries
Flash Concentration shines in Mythic+ and Raiding with providing heavy tank support and single target support to allies. This call also be leveraged in a raid environment where increased single target can be helpful for supporting tanks or allies with lengthy bleed debuffs or on the Sun King Salvation boss fight which requires intense single target healing.
X'anshi, Return of Archbishop Benedictus can have some situational value when learning new encounters but is not as powerful when it comes to raw output as the other options.
Detailed Holy Priest Builds
Note: There are currently no talent variations depending on your covenant selection but there is variation depending on your Legendary selection. For a deeper look at each talent and more specialized builds for specific activities, see the Holy Priest Talent Guide.
Stat Priority for Holy Priests in Shadowlands
Holy Priests primarily favor higher Item Level gains, along with Mastery, although secondary stats are generally close in value. Find out more about how stats work in the Stats Guide, or get an overview of gear to look for from dungeons and raids in the Holy Priest Gear Guide.
- Item level
- Critical Strike
Gear in Battle for Azeroth heavily focused on pursuing item level upgrades and Shadowlands continues this trend as well. While mastery will be a primary focus to prepare for raids, if you find a non-mastery item that is 10 item levels higher than the Mastery piece, it is quite likely that the higher ilvl piece will be better. Some exceptions to item level can be rings and some trinkets. For further detail, check the gear guide.
Many gear slots can be enchanted in Shadowlands power enhancing enchants: weapons, rings, bracers, chest, gloves and boots. Some of these will be utility based for gathering or reducing fall damage.
Recommended Holy Priest enchants:
- Ring: Enchant Ring - Tenet of Mastery
- Weapon: Enchant Weapon - Celestial Guidance
- Cloak: Enchant Cloak - Fortified Leech
- Chest: Enchant Chest - Eternal Stats
- Bracers: Enchant Bracers - Eternal Intellect
Potions and Flasks for Holy Priests
- Flask:Eternal Cauldron or Spectral Flask of Power
- Potions:Spiritual Healing Potion, Spiritual Mana Potion or Potion of Sacrificial Anima.
- In dungeons Potion of Soul Purity can be very useful for removing debuffs that you cannot dispel.
Weapon Oils for Holy Priests
- Healing:Embalmer's Oil: This does very little healing at all. Opt for the damage oil instead.
- Damage:Shadowcore Oil: While this does not give you any extra healing it actually does something unlike Embalmer's Oil.
Feast of Gluttonous Hedonism is the highest quality feast in Shadowlands and should be prioritized over individual food.Best Gems for Holy Priests
Rotation for Holy Priests in Shadowlands
Healing and dealing damage differ greatly, as healing does not follow a rotation, but instead prioritizes spells depending on the situation. This section gives a general overview. Optimizations, talent variations, and advanced tips can be found in the Holy Priest Rotation Guide.
- Precast 5x Flash Heal before pull to stack Flash Concentration uptime.
- Maintain Flash Concentration uptime even if you have to force a Flash Heal cast.
- Cast Holy Word: Sanctify on cooldown (if hitting 5-6 targets and it will be effective).
- Cast Holy Word: Serenity on cooldown if the target is ~50% or lower, for tanks look to cast around 60-70% HP.
- Cast Prayer of Mending on cooldown.
- Cast Circle of Healing on cooldown if 3+ allies are injured.
- Cast Mindgames on cooldown.
- Cast Unholy Nova so that it impacts just after damage hits. Targetting an ally or enemy.
- Cast Heal whenever it will get value.
- Use Holy Word: Salvation or Divine Hymn with respect to other healer's raid cooldowns when heavy damage occurs (addressed further in Advanced section).
- Cast Fae Guardians during downtime to reduce the cooldown of Divine Hymn and regen mana.
- Boon of the Ascended will frequently be used as its own cooldown. Check the Kyrian covenant page for more information.
- Add damage during downtime