Guide provided by Wowhead
Raid & Uldir Guide
Uldir is the first raid zone in Battle for Azeroth, unlocked on September 4th, 2018. It is a Titan laboratory and containment facility located in Nazmir of Zandalar, meant to contain, analyze, and neutralize Old God corruption.
Holy Raid Strengths and How To Maximize Them
The raiding Holy Priest is in many ways one of the most fluid healers in the game at the moment. With the powerful capability to sustain high healing throughput in both a heavy aoe environment as well as a more focused and spot healing environment all without having to make large changes to playstyle or talents. This occurs as Holy has some set priorities like Prayer of Mending and Holy Word usage near on cooldown, but from there they have softer rules around what to do in between those cooldowns.
The ability for Holy to consistently pace their healing throughput with Heal when there is little healing needed, Flash and Prayer of Healing when there is a need for more single target or aoe healing respectively and Binding Heal for the areas that exist between those extremes. With Heal you have a strong tool to consistently bring your Holy Word: Serenity back off cooldown, provide solid tank healing, and to allow you to play more efficiently with your mana. The spec already has a strong capacity to stretch mana over a long encounter so long as they are not too aggressive with Flash or Prayer, so having a resource to get Holy Words off cooldown for a very low cost is ideal.
Holy also has powerful tools in Symbol of Hope which many fights later in Uldir will allow you to get two uses out of, a weak usage early in a fight and a more powerful one near the very end of an encounter in an ideal scenario. The more that you can work with your healers so they know when to expect the mana regen to kick in so they can pace themselves accordingly, the more impactful Symbol of Hope will be for the raid group. Holy Word: Salvation and Divine Hymn make for two powerful raid cooldowns available to you to deal with heavy damage on the group, the greatest challenge will just be adequately getting both on cooldown in a short manner. Be sure to work with your raid leader or healing officer to optimize the timing of Holy Word: Salvation to help ensure two casts on most fights. An encounter like Taloc which has limited aoe damage that is often well covered by existing raid cooldowns might highlight a good encounter to use Light of the Naaru, but moving onto MOTHER you will definitely look to use Holy Word: Salvation rapidly so you can guarantee a second cast as the party enters the last room.
Holy Raid Weaknesses and How To Prepare for Them
It is always key to identify weaknesses or areas that the spec is not quite as strong at as other healers, to best know how to work around them and limit their impact. Mobility, for example, is a key weakness for Holy but can be played around by properly preparing yourself for the raid encounters and gaining strong familiarity with boss fights before you enter the instance.
To prepare yourself for new encounters in Uldir, it is recommended that you go through the dungeon journal or check out the Taloc Uldir Raid Strategy Guide and other boss specific guides on the site to identify the consistent large bursts of damage and void zones that will go out on each fight. After you've outlined some specific boss abilities, start looking at the timing of each ability. This can be done by watching a video, or if you are already in the raid you can use a combat timer like the one which is built into the Exorsus Raid Tools addon. Not only is timing important for being able to precast Prayer of Healing if need be, or preparing your Holy Word: Sanctify for a big hit but also to take optimize your mobility. When using your filler in Heal, watching for when the next mechanics will go out will serve you well and push you to steadily start moving away from void zone areas or preparing you to stack with the party.
Good Azerite Traits for Raids
Key T1 traits to target for Holy Priest in a raiding environment:
- Word of Mending — High priority trait to have at least one of, value diminishes when stacked as cooldown reduction effect does not stack.
- Archive of the Titans — Offers a stacking Intellect buff and enables the Reorigination Array effect. So far this looks to be a soft nerf to the instance, increasing over time, and likely will be a trait to pursue this effect later in progression.
- Laser Matrix — A less steady and predictable Uldir Azerite trait but also enables Reorigination Array. Depending on the stacking power of this extra effect it can be key to ensure you have one of either Archive of the Titans or this trait on your gear.
Uldir Tips & Tricks
Holy Priest Talent Recommendations for Taloc
Taloc Tips & Tricks for Holy Priest
- Watch out for allies running out of the groups with Plasma Discharge as they will require spot healing.
- Cudgel of Gore will deal huge damage onto the raid. On Mythic Hardened Arteries goes out first and is quickly followed by Cudgel of Gore, consider using Holy Word: Salvation for this window, to gain the most value from the variety of healing provided.
- Damage from Cudgel of Gore is based off of proximity to the impact zone, move away and have Holy Word: Sanctify at the ready to quickly reverse the damage.
- During the Powered Down phase, keep an eye on the tank that is soaking the Volatile Droplet. These adds will knock you back when soaked, so standing back to let the tank soak, then having Leap of Faith at the ready is excellent for ensuring the tank will not get knocked off the elevator. See video above for examples.
Holy Priest Talent Recommendations for MOTHER
MOTHER Tips & Tricks for Holy Priest
- This encounter focuses primarily on healers working together to rotate through healing cooldowns as players pass through the Defense Grid. This video highlights <Future's> strategy of sending large groups at the start of each room.
- With this strategy, early cooldown usage is imperative and avoiding overlaps is key.
- Ideal time to use Holy Word: Salvation is when you are sending a large group and other cooldowns are not going off after. Continue sending small groups after the large pack and raid is mostly healed up to allow the Prayer of Mending stacks from Salv to continue bouncing.
- On Mythic, whenever a healer moves through the Defense Grid a Endemic Virus debuff will go out onto a player. We assigned the first healer that passed through the Grid to dispel all Endemic Virus the rest of the fight and call out the player afflicted by it to run out of the group for a dispel.
- If a player with Endemic Virus is dispelled in the group, use Mass Dispel to dispel the Spreading Epidemic that apply to any allies.
Holy Priest Talent Recommendations for Zek'voz
Zek'voz Tips & Tricks for Holy Priest
- Ideal cooldown period is as Silithid Warrior spawn and the raid stacks up. The bleeds applied by these mobs paired with the Titan Spark damage on the raid make for a strong time to use Salvation or Hymn.
- Halo is generally a solid pick, but on Mythic mode, it is frequent to hard crowd control Nerubian Voidweaver with Hunter Traps and the like, so the damage from Halo can break these mobs out prematurely. Divine Star is a good pick if the raid stacks frequently in between Eye Beam, but in general, Benediction will be the easiest and best option for healing this encounter.
- Watch for allies affected by Roiling Deceit as they will need priority healing as they move out their clouds.
Holy Priest Talent Recommendations for Vectis
Vectis Tips & Tricks for Holy Priest
- This encounter is built upon healer cooldown rotations similar to MOTHER, but requires greater spot healing attention than MOTHER in between burts.
- When organizing your raid cooldowns with other healers ensure that you have low Lingering Infection stacks before the Contagion / Immunosuppression combo and step out of your stack group (on Mythic) if you do ahead of time so you do not spread Bursting Lesions.
- Watch the timers for Gestate and prioritize healing tanks and Omega Vector targets before the rest of the raid.
- On Mythic, especially with a Holy Priest in the raid, you should have adequate raid cooldowns for each combo that goes out. So if you are not channeling Hymn or casting Salvation, you should be looking for the lowest health targets to spam heal rather than trying to AoE heal everyone all at once.
- During the intermission, spotheal as needed on allies with Omega Vector or Plague Bomb. Helping to soak is imperative here and substantial self healing can be done while spothealing others, making Binding Heal extremely efficient.
- Two uses of Symbol of Hope is definitely possible on Mythic mode and it is encouraged to use this early on before the first intermission to get a second cast in as the last intermission phase ends.
Holy Priest Talent Recommendations for Fetid Devourer
Fetid Devourer Tips & Tricks for Holy Priest
- This is a difficult fight as Holy. With how spread the encounter is, it can be difficult to heal the right targets when you would like. Malodorous Miasma is a high priority as they will need healing the entire duration and at the end of said duration the debuff will become Putrid Paroxysm.
- With Shockwave Stomp look for walls/obstacles to shorten your knockback distance so you can get back to the boss more rapidly and continue healing the group.
- On Mythic, the damage that you can deal to Corruption Corpuscle is incredibly important. Work with your raid leader to identify which Corruption Corpuscle group looks to be the weakest and add any extra damage possible.
- Circle of Healing might be worth experimenting with on Mythic mode due to the heavy movement required and the fact that Holy Word: Salvation will only get one use over the course of this rapid fight.
Holy Priest Talent Recommendations for Zul, Reborn
Zul, Reborn Tips & Tricks for Holy Priest
- Halo is a solid choice on this encounter but, like Zek'voz, priority targets can be hard crowd-controlled which can make Halo difficult to use. There is nothing keeping the raid from stacking on this encounter, so consider taking Divine Star if the group can properly stack for it, otherwise use Benediction.
- Watch timers for when Dark Revelation goes out. When players are affected by it, they will have 10 seconds to get out of the group before the detonation, giving you plenty of time to prepare Holy Words to deal with the incoming burst damage.
- When Dark Revelation or Deathwish detonates, Minion of Zul will spawn around the detonation location. Use Mass Dispel or Dispel Magic if the former is on cooldown to destroy the minions before they reach the raid.
- If a Congeal Blood spawns, you can utilize Shining Force to knock them far away from the raid. These mobs kill themselves over time so it will be more efficient to knock the mob away and slow it, rather than force your DPS players to hard focus it before it reaches the boss.
- To mitigate and reduce the burst damage from Deathwish, you can use Leap of Faith on one of the affected players while dispelling the other to desync the damage bursts. If you group is prepared for the incoming damage you can simply dispel and use defensives/raid cooldowns instead.
- Priority healing targets in this encounter are players soaking Pool of Darkness and the tanks affected by Rupturing Blood.
- This fight is incredibly quick, so the timing of your Holy Word: Salvation should be delayed until the latter part of the encounter when the damage is most heavy on the group. Work with your group to use light cooldowns or simply expend extra mana in the first phase, help regen that back with Symbol of Hope as you enter phase 2, and utilize most of your large cooldowns at the end as the fight rapidly ramps up in damage.
Holy Priest Talent Recommendations for Mythrax
Mythrax Tips & Tricks for Holy Priest
- Like Zul, watch for when the Imminent Ruin goes out. This debuff also lasts 10 seconds allowing for plenty of time to prepare. Make sure the debuffed targets are topped off before they move out of range as they will take the heaviest hit from this mechanic and have reduced HP.
- Staying spread out is key on this encounters to reduce the damage that Oblivion Sphere will deal to players when broken out. Though there is about a 15 second delay between casts of Spheres allowing for melee to more easily clump together for your Holy Word: Sanctify casts. Try to move yourself just close enough into melee that you can fit into the south end of the Holy Word: Sanctify reticule and the melee you want to heal are in the north end. Then quickly move out before more Oblivion Spheres are cast.
- Vision of Madness in the intermission channel Mind Flay. Even when interrupted or when an ally is dispelled, and especially on Mythic, these adds frequently recast requiring your allies to be constantly healed until they are killed. Binding Heal is incredibly efficient for this level of damage.
- Shining Force makes for an excellent tool to knock out players inside Oblivion Sphere. Just be careful as to where you are knocking that player as the distance of Shining Force's knockback is substantial and could cause a player to be blasted from one orb to another.
Holy Priest Talent Recommendations for G'huun
G'huun Tips & Tricks for Holy Priest
- Holy Nova is an excellent tool to quickly damage Amorphous Cyst and reduce their radius.
- When running Power Matrix to the conduit, you can utilize Leap of Faith BEFORE the player is rooted to move them closer to their objective, potentially saving you from receiving the debuff for touching the Power Matrix, allowing you to assist on multiple conduit runs.
- The Reorigination Blast transitions are an excellent time to stack the group together for priority healing. Early use of Holy Word: Salvation during these pulses allows for extremely high value out of the ticking Renew and Prayer of Mending.
- During the 2nd and 3rd phases, ensure the healers are appropriately spread out to heal tanks and other raid members.
- Multiple uses of Symbol of Hope are definitely a likelihood on this encounter as well, look to use them after the first Reorigination Blast and again near the end of the encounter as mana gets very tight.
- Mythic Tips, Coming Soon!