Holy Priest Stat Priorities
Stats are a key component when customizing your Holy Priest in World of Warcraft--having the right combination of them can be crucial to your performance.
In this guide, we will detail the best stat priority for your Holy Priest, as well as provide explanations covering how to determine Holy Priest stat priorities personalized for your character in Shadowlands, as well as how to check if a piece of gear is BiS, upgrade or just bad for you.
Besides talking about your Holy Priest stat priority, we will also cover your stats in-depth, explaining nuances and synergies for niche situations that go beyond a generic Holy Priest priority.
Discipline Priest Stats
Shadowlands brings very radical changes in the field of stats for every class. With Diminishing Returns added to secondary stats, the idea of stacking one single stat is something that is seen less often. On top of that, Shadowlands brings another item level squish that reduces the item level bloat from previous expansions.
Intellect is our main primary stat and is found on all gear that we want to be wearing, except rings and some trinkets.
For secondary stats, the Holy Priest has the following:
- Critical Strike: Provides a chance to double the healing done of your spells. This synergizes quite well with Mastery and the bigger focus on a direct healing playstyle through heavy Holy Word usage in that Critical direct heals also increases the size of the Echo of Light heal that follows them. While it is random, which is a drawback for many healers, it is rare to find many of your heals relying on a critical strike at a specific moment to save a player from death; often proper preparation is the key to saving lives. Next in priority in raid healing after Mastery.
- Haste: Haste decreases the cast time of your spells and also adds ticks during the healing over time of Renew. While Haste breakpoints still exist for Renew, they are irrelevant today because when you are in between these breakpoints the HoT receives partial ticks that are added onto the regular tick. Haste also reduces the Global Cooldown (GCD) and the cooldowns of certain spells like Prayer of Mending and others that have a green text when you mouseover their tooltips in game. More often, taking higher ilvl items will give you sufficient Haste to get into a comfortable flow of responding to damage.
- Mastery: Increases the effectiveness of Mastery: Echo of Light, leaving HoTs on the targets from our direct heals. Mastery has become exceptionally powerful, more than earning the top spot.
- Versatility: Provides a linear gain in outgoing healing and damage, as well as a reduction in damage taken.
- Avoidance: Excellent survivability stat
- Leech: HPS and survivability increase. Healing and Damage done will translate to self-healing
- Speed: Mobility increase
- Indestructible: Unbreakable gear!
Best Stats for Holy Priest
The stat change remains unchanged from BfA to Shadowlands:
- Item Level
- Critical Strike
- Item Level > Mastery > Critical Strike/Versatility > Haste
This priority seeks to optimize item level while pursuing high Mastery and Crit rings to enhance their value. Haste should not be ignored, but neither should it be made a high priority. The extra HoT that your Mastery leaves is tremendously powerful in progression raiding content and acts as a stabilizing factor in smoothing out damage onto the raid. Crit should also not be ignored as stacking only one secondary will often lose value in time. Pursue item level upgrades, as these often lead to having a more balanced level of Crit and Mastery on your gear.
- Item Level
- Critical Strike
- Item Level > Haste > Critical Strike/Versatility > Mastery
This stat priority is to optimize both your healing and damage contributions to the Mythic+ environment. While Mastery is extremely effective in raids, it lacks any damage increasing value which can make a significant difference when pushing to complete a dungeon before the timer runs out. Some additional Haste seeks to increase Holy's response time to incoming damage on the tank, party or to dealing more damage to the enemy.
How Covenant Choice Affect Holy Priest Stats
At this point there are not any major changes to your stat priority based off of Covenants.
How Legendaries Affect Holy Priest Stats
Your legendary will not change your stat focus.